Graham Spooner, Investment Adviser at The Share Centre, looks at last week’s top buys and this week’s top tips.
The Share Centre’s Customer top buys from the last 7 days
1. Tesco – Investors reacting to latest trading update.
2. Vodafone – Potential for increased dividends later in the year.
3. Lloyds – The share price has been steadily improving in recent months, as investors hope the worst may now be over.
4. Monitise – Solid recent trading update and favoured higher risk Share Centre recommendation.
5. Barclays – Investor appetite for the sector continues.
The Share Centre’s top tips for this week
1. United Utilities (Lower risk) – Water company based in the NW of England with an attractive dividend yield of around 4.6 pct. There has also been increased speculation of a bid in the sector and United has been mentioned as a possible target.
2. Compass Group (Lower risk) – Well managed food support service group. Longer term potential to return significant amounts of cash to shareholders should help underpin the share price.
3. ITV (Medium risk) – The company’s long term recovery plan appears to working well. The group has cut its debts and is trying to move away from being dependent on advertising revenue. The production side of the business has been going from strength to strength on the back of blockbusters like Downton Abbey.
4. Vodafone (Medium risk) – Income seekers could see a boost to an already attractive dividend yield, if the American business Verizon, in which Vodafone has a large holding, pays another dividend.
5. Afren (High risk) – Oil exploration group with good track record of finding oil in Africa. They have also recently expanded into having exposure in Kurdistan, which is good for diversity but keeps the risk level high.